• Better Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having good qualities in a greater degree than another; as, a better man; a better physician; a better house; a better air.
- (a.) More advanced; more perfect; as, upon better acquaintance; a better knowledge of the subject.
- (a.) To surpass in excellence; to exceed; to excel.
- (v. i.) To become better; to improve.
- (a.) To improve or ameliorate; to increase the good qualities of.
- (compar.) More correctly or thoroughly.
- (n.) Advantage, superiority, or victory; -- usually with of; as, to get the better of an enemy.
- (a.) Improved in health; less affected with disease; as, the patient is better.
- (n.) One who has a claim to precedence; a superior, as in merit, social standing, etc.; -- usually in the plural.
- (a.) Preferable in regard to rank, value, use, fitness, acceptableness, safety, or in any other respect.
- (compar.) In a higher or greater degree; more; as, to love one better than another.
- (compar.) More, in reference to value, distance, time, etc.; as, ten miles and better.
- (a.) To give advantage to; to support; to advance the interest of.
- (a.) Greater in amount; larger; more.
- (a.) To improve the condition of, morally, physically, financially, socially, or otherwise.
- (n.) One who bets or lays a wager.
- (compar.) In a superior or more excellent manner; with more skill and wisdom, courage, virtue, advantage, or success; as, Henry writes better than John; veterans fight better than recruits.
• Betterment Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An improvement of an estate which renders it better than mere repairing would do; -- generally used in the plural.
- (n.) A making better; amendment; improvement.
• Bettered Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Better