• Board Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The side of a ship.
- (n.) A square or oblong piece of thin wood or other material used for some special purpose, as, a molding board; a board or surface painted or arranged for a game; as, a chessboard; a backgammon board.
- (n.) The border or side of anything.
- (n.) Hence: What is served on a table as food; stated meals; provision; entertainment; -- usually as furnished for pay; as, to work for ones board; the price of board.
- (n.) To furnish with regular meals, or with meals and lodgings, for compensation; to supply with daily meals.
- (n.) To go on board of, or enter, as a ship, whether in a hostile or a friendly way.
- (v. t.) To cover with boards or boarding; as, to board a house.
- (n.) To enter, as a railway car.
- (n.) To place at board, for compensation; as, to board ones horse at a livery stable.
- (v. t.) To approach; to accost; to address; hence, to woo.
- (n.) A table at which a council or court is held. Hence: A council, convened for business, or any authorized assembly or meeting, public or private; a number of persons appointed or elected to sit in council for the management or direction of some public or private business or trust; as, the Board of Admiralty; a board of trade; a board of directors, trustees, commissioners, etc.
- (n.) A piece of timber sawed thin, and of considerable length and breadth as compared with the thickness, -- used for building, etc.
- (v. i.) To obtain meals, or meals and lodgings, statedly for compensation; as, he boards at the hotel.
- (n.) A table to put food upon.
- (n.) The stretch which a ship makes in one tack.
- (n.) Paper made thick and stiff like a board, for book covers, etc.; pasteboard; as, to bind a book in boards.
- (n.) The stage in a theater; as, to go upon the boards, to enter upon the theatrical profession.
• Boar Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The uncastrated male of swine; specifically, the wild hog.
• Boardable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) That can be boarded, as a ship.