• Boiled Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Dressed or cooked by boiling; subjected to the action of a boiling liquid; as, boiled meat; a boiled dinner; boiled clothes.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Boil
• Boil Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To steep or soak in warm water.
- (n.) Act or state of boiling.
- (n.) A hard, painful, inflamed tumor, which, on suppuration, discharges pus, mixed with blood, and discloses a small fibrous mass of dead tissue, called the core.
- (v.) To be in boiling water, as in cooking; as, the potatoes are boiling.
- (v. t.) To form, or separate, by boiling or evaporation; as, to boil sugar or salt.
- (v.) To pass from a liquid to an aeriform state or vapor when heated; as, the water boils away.
- (v. t.) To subject to the action of heat in a boiling liquid so as to produce some specific effect, as cooking, cleansing, etc.; as, to boil meat; to boil clothes.
- (v.) To be agitated like boiling water, by any other cause than heat; to bubble; to effervesce; as, the boiling waves.
- (v. t.) To heat to the boiling point, or so as to cause ebullition; as, to boil water.
- (v.) To be agitated, or tumultuously moved, as a liquid by the generation and rising of bubbles of steam (or vapor), or of currents produced by heating it to the boiling point; to be in a state of ebullition; as, the water boils.
- (v.) To be moved or excited with passion; to be hot or fervid; as, his blood boils with anger.