• Bolt Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To shoot; to discharge or drive forth.
- (v. i.) To start forth like a bolt or arrow; to spring abruptly; to come or go suddenly; to dart; as, to bolt out of the room.
- (v. i.) To refuse to support a nomination made by a party or a caucus with which one has been connected; to break away from a party.
- (v. i.) A sudden flight, as to escape creditors.
- (n.) A compact package or roll of cloth, as of canvas or silk, often containing about forty yards.
- (n.) A shaft or missile intended to be shot from a crossbow or catapult, esp. a short, stout, blunt-headed arrow; a quarrel; an arrow, or that which resembles an arrow; a dart.
- (v. i.) To strike or fall suddenly like a bolt.
- (v. t.) To discuss or argue privately, and for practice, as cases at law.
- (v. t.) To utter precipitately; to blurt or throw out.
- (n.) A strong pin, of iron or other material, used to fasten or hold something in place, often having a head at one end and screw thread cut upon the other end.
- (v. i.) A sudden spring or start; a sudden spring aside; as, the horse made a bolt.
- (v. t.) To sift or separate the coarser from the finer particles of, as bran from flour, by means of a bolter; to separate, assort, refine, or purify by other means.
- (n.) An iron to fasten the legs of a prisoner; a shackle; a fetter.
- (v. t.) To cause to start or spring forth; to dislodge, as conies, rabbits, etc.
- (n.) A sliding catch, or fastening, as for a door or gate; the portion of a lock which is shot or withdrawn by the action of the key.
- (v. t.) To separate, as if by sifting or bolting; -- with out.
- (n.) A bundle, as of oziers.
- (v. t.) To refuse to support, as a nomination made by a party to which one has belonged or by a caucus in which one has taken part.
- (v. i.) To spring suddenly aside, or out of the regular path; as, the horse bolted.
- (n.) Lightning; a thunderbolt.
- (n.) A sieve, esp. a long fine sieve used in milling for bolting flour and meal; a bolter.
- (v. t.) To fasten or secure with, or as with, a bolt or bolts, as a door, a timber, fetters; to shackle; to restrain.
- (v. t.) To swallow without chewing; as, to bolt food.
- (adv.) In the manner of a bolt; suddenly; straight; unbendingly.
- (v. i.) A refusal to support a nomination made by the party with which one has been connected; a breaking away from ones party.
• Bolty Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An edible fish of the Nile (genus Chromis).
• Boltonite Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A granular mineral of a grayish or yellowish color, found in Bolton, Massachusetts. It is a silicate of magnesium, belonging to the chrysolite family.