• Brief Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) A writ; a breve. See Breve, n., 2.
- (a.) An abridgment or concise statement of a clients case, made out for the instruction of counsel in a trial at law. This word is applied also to a statement of the heads or points of a law argument.
- (n.) A letter patent, from proper authority, authorizing a collection or charitable contribution of money in churches, for any public or private purpose.
- (a.) Rife; common; prevalent.
- (a.) A short concise writing or letter; a statement in few words.
- (a.) An epitome.
- (a.) Short in duration.
- (v. t.) To make an abstract or abridgment of; to shorten; as, to brief pleadings.
- (adv.) Briefly.
- (n.) A writ issuing from the chancery, directed to any judge ordinary, commanding and authorizing that judge to call a jury to inquire into the case, and upon their verdict to pronounce sentence.
- (adv.) Soon; quickly.
- (a.) Concise; terse; succinct.
• Briefless Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having no brief; without clients; as, a briefless barrister.
• Briefman Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who makes a brief.
- (n.) A copier of a manuscript.