• Burst Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A sudden breaking forth; a violent rending; an explosion; as, a burst of thunder; a burst of applause; a burst of passion; a burst of inspiration.
- (v. i.) To exert force or pressure by which something is made suddenly to give way; to break through obstacles or limitations; hence, to appear suddenly and unexpectedly or unaccountably, or to depart in such manner; -- usually with some qualifying adverb or preposition, as forth, out, away, into, upon, through, etc.
- (v. t.) To break.
- (n.) A sudden opening, as of landscape; a stretch; an expanse.
- (v. i.) To fly apart or in pieces; of break open; to yield to force or pressure, especially to a sudden and violent exertion of force, or to pressure from within; to explode; as, the boiler had burst; the buds will burst in spring.
- (n.) Any brief, violent exertion or effort; a spurt; as, a burst of speed.
- (v. t.) To produce as an effect of bursting; as, to burst a hole through the wall.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Burst
- (v. t.) To break or rend by violence, as by an overcharge or by strain or pressure, esp. from within; to force open suddenly; as, to burst a cannon; to burst a blood vessel; to burst open the doors.
- (n.) A rupture or hernia; a breach.
• Burstwort Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A plant (Herniaria glabra) supposed to be valuable for the cure of hernia or rupture.