• Chant Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To sing or recite after the manner of a chant, or to a tune called a chant.
- (v. t.) A short and simple melody, divided into two parts by double bars, to which unmetrical psalms, etc., are sung or recited. It is the most ancient form of choral music.
- (v. i.) To make melody with the voice; to sing.
- (v. t.) To celebrate in song.
- (v. t.) Twang; manner of speaking; a canting tone.
- (v. t.) Song; melody.
- (v. t.) To utter with a melodious voice; to sing.
- (v. i.) To sing, as in reciting a chant.
- (v. t.) A psalm, etc., arranged for chanting.
• Chanter Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The hedge sparrow.
- (n.) One who chants; a singer or songster.
- (n.) The chief singer of the chantry.
- (n.) The flute or finger pipe in a bagpipe. See Bagpipe.
• Chantry Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A chapel or altar so endowed.
- (n.) An endowment or foundation for the chanting of masses and offering of prayers, commonly for the founder.