• Colonies Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Colony
• Colony Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A company of persons from the same country sojourning in a foreign city or land; as, the American colony in Paris.
- (n.) The district or country colonized; a settlement.
- (n.) A company of people transplanted from their mother country to a remote province or country, and remaining subject to the jurisdiction of the parent state; as, the British colonies in America.
- (n.) A number of animals or plants living or growing together, beyond their usual range.
- (n.) A cluster or aggregation of zooids of any compound animal, as in the corals, hydroids, certain tunicates, etc.
- (n.) A cell family or group of common origin, mostly of unicellular organisms, esp. among the lower algae. They may adhere in chains or groups, or be held together by a gelatinous envelope.
- (n.) A community of social insects, as ants, bees, etc.