• Compounding Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Compound
• Compound Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) That which is compounded or formed by the union or mixture of elements ingredients, or parts; a combination of simples; a compound word; the result of composition.
- (v. t.) To settle amicably; to adjust by agreement; to compromise; to discharge from obligation upon terms different from those which were stipulated; as, to compound a debt.
- (v. t.) To form or make by combining different elements, ingredients, or parts; as, to compound a medicine.
- (n.) A union of two or more ingredients in definite proportions by weight, so combined as to form a distinct substance; as, water is a compound of oxygen and hydrogen.
- (v. t.) To compose; to constitute.
- (v. t.) Composed of two or more elements, ingredients, parts; produced by the union of several ingredients, parts, or things; composite; as, a compound word.
- (v. t.) To modify or change by combination with some other thing or part; to mingle with something else.
- (v. t.) To put together, as elements, ingredients, or parts, in order to form a whole; to combine, mix, or unite.
- (n.) In the East Indies, an inclosure containing a house, outbuildings, etc.
- (v. i.) To effect a composition; to come to terms of agreement; to agree; to settle by a compromise; -- usually followed by with before the person participating, and for before the thing compounded or the consideration.