• Coping Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Cope
- (n.) The highest or covering course of masonry in a wall, often with sloping edges to carry off water; -- sometimes called capping.
• Cop Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A tube or quill upon which silk is wound.
- (n.) Same as Merlon.
- (n.) A conical or conical-ended mass of coiled thread, yarn, or roving, wound upon a spindle, etc.
- (n.) The top of a thing; the head; a crest.
- (n.) A policeman.
• Cope Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The top part of a flask or mold; the outer part of a loam mold.
- (v. t.) To pare the beak or talons of (a hawk).
- (v. i.) To encounter; to meet; to have to do with.
- (v. i.) To form a cope or arch; to bend or arch; to bow.
- (v. i.) To enter into or maintain a hostile contest; to struggle; to combat; especially, to strive or contend on equal terms or with success; to match; to equal; -- usually followed by with.
- (n.) Anything regarded as extended over the head, as the arch or concave of the sky, the roof of a house, the arch over a door.
- (v. t.) To make return for; to requite; to repay.
- (n.) An ecclesiastical vestment or cloak, semicircular in form, reaching from the shoulders nearly to the feet, and open in front except at the top, where it is united by a band or clasp. It is worn in processions and on some other occasions.
- (v. t.) To bargain for; to buy.
- (v. t.) To match ones self against; to meet; to encounter.
- (n.) An ancient tribute due to the lord of the soil, out of the lead mines in Derbyshire, England.
- (n.) A covering for the head.
- (v. i.) To exchange or barter.