• Couching Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The operation of putting down or displacing the opaque lens in cataract.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Couch
- (n.) Embroidering by laying the materials upon the surface of the foundation, instead of drawing them through.
• Couch Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To lay or deposit in a bed or layer; to bed.
- (v. t.) To arrange or dispose as in a bed; -- sometimes followed by the reflexive pronoun.
- (v. i.) To bend the body, as in reverence, pain, labor, etc.; to stoop; to crouch.
- (v. t.) To transfer (as sheets of partly dried pulp) from the wire cloth mold to a felt blanket, for further drying.
- (v. t.) To conceal; to include or involve darkly.
- (v. t.) Any place for repose, as the lair of a beast, etc.
- (v. t.) To put into some form of language; to express; to phrase; -- used with in and under.
- (v. t.) A bed or place for repose or sleep; particularly, in the United States, a lounge.
- (v. t.) A preliminary layer, as of color, size, etc.
- (v. i.) To lie down for concealment; to hide; to be concealed; to be included or involved darkly.
- (v. t.) To arrange; to place; to inlay.
- (v. i.) To lie down or recline, as on a bed or other place of rest; to repose; to lie.
- (v. t.) A mass of steeped barley spread upon a floor to germinate, in malting; or the floor occupied by the barley; as, couch of malt.
- (v. t.) To lay upon a bed or other resting place.
- (v. t.) To treat by pushing down or displacing the opaque lens with a needle; as, to couch a cataract.
• Couche Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Lying on its side; thus, a chevron couche is one which emerges from one side of the escutcheon and has its apex on the opposite side, or at the fess point.
- (v. t.) Not erect; inclined; -- said of anything that is usually erect, as an escutcheon.