• Cries Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Cry
• Cry Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) Any expression of grief, distress, etc., accompanied with tears or sobs; a loud sound, uttered in lamentation.
- (v. i.) Public advertisement by outcry; proclamation, as by hawkers of their wares.
- (v. i.) A pack or company of persons; -- in contempt.
- (v. i.) Outcry; clamor; tumult; popular demand.
- (v. i.) To utter inarticulate sounds, as animals.
- (v. i.) A word or phrase caught up by a party or faction and repeated for effect; as, the party cry of the Tories.
- (v. i.) The crackling noise made by block tin when it is bent back and forth.
- (v. t.) To utter loudly; to call out; to shout; to sound abroad; to declare publicly.
- (v. i.) Importunate supplication.
- (v. i.) Common report; fame.
- (v. i.) A loud utterance; especially, the inarticulate sound produced by one of the lower animals; as, the cry of hounds; the cry of wolves.
- (v. t.) to publish the banns of, as for marriage.
- (v. i.) A pack of hounds.
- (v. t.) To cause to do something, or bring to some state, by crying or weeping; as, to cry ones self to sleep.
- (v. i.) To make a loud call or cry; to call or exclaim vehemently or earnestly; to shout; to vociferate; to proclaim; to pray; to implore.
- (v. i.) Loud expression of triumph or wonder or of popular acclamation or favor.
- (v. i.) To utter lamentations; to lament audibly; to express pain, grief, or distress, by weeping and sobbing; to shed tears; to bawl, as a child.
- (v. t.) To make oral and public proclamation of; to declare publicly; to notify or advertise by outcry, especially things lost or found, goods to be sold, ets.; as, to cry goods, etc.