• Deads Definition & Synonyms
- (n. pl.) The substances which inclose the ore on every side.
• Dead Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Sure as death; unerring; fixed; complete; as, a dead shot; a dead certainty.
- (a.) Still as death; motionless; inactive; useless; as, dead calm; a dead load or weight.
- (a.) Resembling death in appearance or quality; without show of life; deathlike; as, a dead sleep.
- (a.) Lacking spirit; dull; lusterless; cheerless; as, dead eye; dead fire; dead color, etc.
- (a.) Cut off from the rights of a citizen; deprived of the power of enjoying the rights of property; as, one banished or becoming a monk is civilly dead.
- (a.) Unproductive; bringing no gain; unprofitable; as, dead capital; dead stock in trade.
- (a.) Destitute of life; inanimate; as, dead matter.
- (a.) Bringing death; deadly.
- (v. i.) To die; to lose life or force.
- (adv.) To a degree resembling death; to the last degree; completely; wholly.
- (v. t.) To make dead; to deaden; to deprive of life, force, or vigor.
- (a.) Monotonous or unvaried; as, a dead level or pain; a dead wall.
- (a.) Flat; without gloss; -- said of painting which has been applied purposely to have this effect.
- (a.) Not imparting motion or power; as, the dead spindle of a lathe, etc. See Spindle.
- (a.) Deprived of life; -- opposed to alive and living; reduced to that state of a being in which the organs of motion and life have irrevocably ceased to perform their functions; as, a dead tree; a dead man.
- (a.) So constructed as not to transmit sound; soundless; as, a dead floor.
- (n.) One who is dead; -- commonly used collectively.
- (a.) Wanting in religious spirit and vitality; as, dead faith; dead works.
- (a.) Not brilliant; not rich; thus, brown is a dead color, as compared with crimson.
- (n.) The most quiet or deathlike time; the period of profoundest repose, inertness, or gloom; as, the dead of winter.
- (a.) Out of play; regarded as out of the game; -- said of a ball, a piece, or a player under certain conditions in cricket, baseball, checkers, and some other games.
- (a.) Carrying no current, or producing no useful effect; -- said of a conductor in a dynamo or motor, also of a telegraph wire which has no instrument attached and, therefore, is not in use.