• Devised Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Devise
• Devise Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To imagine; to guess.
- (v. t.) To give by will; -- used of real estate; formerly, also, of chattels.
- (v. t.) To plan or scheme for; to purpose to obtain.
- (n.) Property devised, or given by will.
- (n.) Device. See Device.
- (v. t.) To say; to relate; to describe.
- (v. i.) To form a scheme; to lay a plan; to contrive; to consider.
- (n.) The act of giving or disposing of real estate by will; -- sometimes improperly applied to a bequest of personal estate.
- (n.) A will or testament, conveying real estate; the clause of a will making a gift of real property.
- (v. t.) To form in the mind by new combinations of ideas, new applications of principles, or new arrangement of parts; to formulate by thought; to contrive; to excogitate; to invent; to plan; to scheme; as, to devise an engine, a new mode of writing, a plan of defense, or an argument.