• Differential Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a differential, or to differentials.
- (n.) An increment, usually an indefinitely small one, which is given to a variable quantity.
- (a.) Relating to differences of motion or leverage; producing effects by such differences; said of mechanism.
- (a.) Relating to or indicating a difference; creating a difference; discriminating; special; as, differential characteristics; differential duties; a differential rate.
- (n.) A form of conductor used for dividing and distributing the current to a series of electric lamps so as to maintain equal action in all.
- (n.) A small difference in rates which competing railroad lines, in establishing a common tariff, allow one of their number to make, in order to get a fair share of the business. The lower rate is called a differential rate. Differentials are also sometimes granted to cities.
- (n.) One of two coils of conducting wire so related to one another or to a magnet or armature common to both, that one coil produces polar action contrary to that of the other.
• Differentially Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In the way of differentiation.