• Direct Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To put a direction or address upon; to mark with the name and residence of the person to whom anything is sent; to superscribe; as, to direct a letter.
- (a.) Immediate; express; plain; unambiguous.
- (v. t.) To point out to with authority; to instruct as a superior; to order; as, he directed them to go.
- (n.) A character, thus [/], placed at the end of a staff on the line or space of the first note of the next staff, to apprise the performer of its situation.
- (v. t.) To determine the direction or course of; to cause to go on in a particular manner; to order in the way to a certain end; to regulate; to govern; as, to direct the affairs of a nation or the movements of an army.
- (a.) Straightforward; not of crooked ways, or swerving from truth and openness; sincere; outspoken.
- (a.) Straight; not crooked, oblique, or circuitous; leading by the short or shortest way to a point or end; as, a direct line; direct means.
- (a.) In the direction of the general planetary motion, or from west to east; in the order of the signs; not retrograde; -- said of the motion of a celestial body.
- (v. t.) To point out or show to (any one), as the direct or right course or way; to guide, as by pointing out the way; as, he directed me to the left-hand road.
- (v. i.) To give direction; to point out a course; to act as guide.
- (v. t.) To arrange in a direct or straight line, as against a mark, or towards a goal; to point; to aim; as, to direct an arrow or a piece of ordnance.
- (a.) In the line of descent; not collateral; as, a descendant in the direct line.
- (a.) Pertaining to, or effected immediately by, action of the people through their votes instead of through one or more representatives or delegates; as, direct nomination, direct legislation.
• Directorial Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Pertaining to: director or directory; specifically, relating to the Directory of France under the first republic. See Directory, 3.
- (a.) Having the quality of a director, or authoritative guide; directive.
• Directness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality of being direct; straightness; straightforwardness; immediateness.