• Dog Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One of the two constellations, Canis Major and Canis Minor, or the Greater Dog and the Lesser Dog. Canis Major contains the Dog Star (Sirius).
- (v. t.) To hunt or track like a hound; to follow insidiously or indefatigably; to chase with a dog or dogs; to worry, as if by dogs; to hound with importunity.
- (n.) A piece in machinery acting as a catch or clutch; especially, the carrier of a lathe, also, an adjustable stop to change motion, as in a machine tool.
- (n.) A mean, worthless fellow; a wretch.
- (n.) An iron with fangs fastening a log in a saw pit, or on the carriage of a sawmill.
- (n.) A fellow; -- used humorously or contemptuously; as, a sly dog; a lazy dog.
- (n.) A quadruped of the genus Canis, esp. the domestic dog (C. familiaris).
- (n.) An iron for holding wood in a fireplace; a firedog; an andiron.
- (n.) A grappling iron, with a claw or claws, for fastening into wood or other heavy articles, for the purpose of raising or moving them.
• Dogger Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A two-masted fishing vessel, used by the Dutch.
- (n.) A sort of stone, found in the mines with the true alum rock, chiefly of silica and iron.
• Dogmatized Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Dogmatize