• Element Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One of the smallest natural divisions of the organism, as a blood corpuscle, a muscular fiber.
- (n.) One of the simple substances, as supposed by the ancient philosophers; one of the imaginary principles of matter.
- (n.) Sometimes a curve, or surface, or volume is considered as described by a moving point, or curve, or surface, the latter being at any instant called an element of the former.
- (n.) The simplest or fundamental principles of any system in philosophy, science, or art; rudiments; as, the elements of geometry, or of music.
- (n.) An infinitesimal part of anything of the same nature as the entire magnitude considered; as, in a solid an element may be the infinitesimal portion between any two planes that are separated an indefinitely small distance. In the calculus, element is sometimes used as synonymous with differential.
- (n.) One of the terms in an algebraic expression.
- (n.) One of the necessary data or values upon which a system of calculations depends, or general conclusions are based; as, the elements of a planets orbit.
- (n.) One of the simplest or essential parts or principles of which anything consists, or upon which the constitution or fundamental powers of anything are based.
- (v. t.) To constitute; to make up with elements.
- (n.) The bread and wine used in the eucharist or Lords supper.
- (n.) The elements of the alchemists were salt, sulphur, and mercury.
- (n.) The whole material composing the world.
- (n.) One of the simplest essential parts, more commonly called cells, of which animal and vegetable organisms, or their tissues and organs, are composed.
- (n.) The four elements were, air, earth, water, and fire
- (n.) One of the ultimate parts which are variously combined in anything; as, letters are the elements of written language; hence, also, a simple portion of that which is complex, as a shaft, lever, wheel, or any simple part in a machine; one of the essential ingredients of any mixture; a constituent part; as, quartz, feldspar, and mica are the elements of granite.
- (n.) One out of several parts combined in a system of aggregation, when each is of the nature of the whole; as, a single cell is an element of the honeycomb.
- (n.) Any outline or sketch, regarded as containing the fundamental ideas or features of the thing in question; as, the elements of a plan.
- (v. t.) To compound of elements or first principles.
- (n.) the conditions and movements of the air.
- (n.) One of the ultimate, undecomposable constituents of any kind of matter. Specifically: (Chem.) A substance which cannot be decomposed into different kinds of matter by any means at present employed; as, the elements of water are oxygen and hydrogen.
• Elementally Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) According to elements; literally; as, the words, "Take, eat; this is my body," elementally understood.
• Elementality Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The condition of being composed of elements, or a thing so composed.