• Footing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of adding up a column of figures; the amount or sum total of such a column.
- (n.) Standing; position; established place; basis for operation; permanent settlement; foothold.
- (n.) The thickened or sloping portion of a wall, or of an embankment at its foot.
- (n.) A narrow cotton lace, without figures.
- (n.) Relative condition; state.
- (n.) Tread; step; especially, measured tread.
- (n.) Ground for the foot; place for the foot to rest on; firm foundation to stand on.
- (n.) The finer refuse part of whale blubber, not wholly deprived of oil.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Foot
- (n.) The act of putting a foot to anything; also, that which is added as a foot; as, the footing of a stocking.
• Foot Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A combination of syllables consisting a metrical element of a verse, the syllables being formerly distinguished by their quantity or length, but in modern poetry by the accent.
- (v. t.) To tread; as, to foot the green.
- (v. t.) To renew the foot of, as of stocking.
- (v. i.) To walk; -- opposed to ride or fly.
- (n.) The lower edge of a sail.
- (n.) The lowest part or base; the ground part; the bottom, as of a mountain or column; also, the last of a row or series; the end or extremity, esp. if associated with inferiority; as, the foot of a hill; the foot of the procession; the foot of a class; the foot of the bed.
- (n.) The muscular locomotive organ of a mollusk. It is a median organ arising from the ventral region of body, often in the form of a flat disk, as in snails. See Illust. of Buccinum.
- (n.) Soldiers who march and fight on foot; the infantry, usually designated as the foot, in distinction from the cavalry.
- (v. t.) To sum up, as the numbers in a column; -- sometimes with up; as, to foot (or foot up) an account.
- (n.) The terminal part of the leg of man or an animal; esp., the part below the ankle or wrist; that part of an animal upon which it rests when standing, or moves. See Manus, and Pes.
- (v. t.) To set on foot; to establish; to land.
- (v. t.) The size or strike with the talon.
- (v. i.) To tread to measure or music; to dance; to trip; to skip.
- (v. t.) To kick with the foot; to spurn.
- (n.) Recognized condition; rank; footing; -- used only in the singular.
- (n.) Fundamental principle; basis; plan; -- used only in the singular.
- (n.) A measure of length equivalent to twelve inches; one third of a yard. See Yard.
- (n.) That which corresponds to the foot of a man or animal; as, the foot of a table; the foot of a stocking.