• Fronting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Front
• Front Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The most conspicuous part.
- (n.) The forehead or brow, the part of the face above the eyes; sometimes, also, the whole face.
- (n.) That which covers the foremost part of the head: a front piece of false hair worn by women.
- (v. t.) To appear before; to meet.
- (n.) A position directly before the face of a person, or before the foremost part of a thing; as, in front of un person, of the troops, or of a house.
- (n.) The part or surface of anything which seems to look out, or to be directed forward; the fore or forward part; the foremost rank; the van; -- the opposite to back or rear; as, the front of a house; the front of an army.
- (v. t.) To stand opposed or opposite to, or over against as, his house fronts the church.
- (v. t.) To face toward; to have the front toward; to confront; as, the house fronts the street.
- (v. t.) To have or turn the face or front in any direction; as, the house fronts toward the east.
- (v. t.) To adorn in front; to supply a front to; as, to front a house with marble; to front a head with laurel.
- (n.) The beginning.
- (n.) The forehead, countenance, or personal presence, as expressive of character or temper, and especially, of boldness of disposition, sometimes of impudence; seeming; as, a bold front; a hardened front.
- (v. t.) To oppose face to face; to oppose directly; to meet in a hostile manner.
- (a.) Of or relating to the front or forward part; having a position in front; foremost; as, a front view.
- (n.) The call boy whose turn it is to answer the call, which is often the word "front," used as an exclamation.
- (n.) All the works along one side of the polygon inclosing the site which is fortified.
- (n.) The middle of the upper part of the tongue, -- the part of the tongue which is more or less raised toward the palate in the pronunciation of certain sounds, as the vowel i in machine, e in bed, and consonant y in you. See Guide to Pronunciation, /10.
• Frontingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a fronting or facing position; opposingly.