• Gammoning Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The lashing or iron band by which the bowsprit of a vessel is secured to the stem to opposite the lifting action of the forestays.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Gammon
- (n.) The act of imposing upon or hoaxing a person.
• Gammon Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To beat in the game of backgammon, before an antagonist has been able to get his "men" or counters home and withdraw any of them from the board; as, to gammon a person.
- (v. t.) To impose on; to hoax; to cajole.
- (n.) Backgammon.
- (v. t.) To make bacon of; to salt and dry in smoke.
- (v. t.) To fasten (a bowsprit) to the stem of a vessel by lashings of rope or chain, or by a band of iron.
- (n.) The buttock or thigh of a hog, salted and smoked or dried; the lower end of a flitch.
- (n.) An imposition or hoax; humbug.