• Gearing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Harness.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Gear
- (n.) The parts by which motion imparted to one portion of an engine or machine is transmitted to another, considered collectively; as, the valve gearing of locomotive engine; belt gearing; esp., a train of wheels for transmitting and varying motion in machinery.
• Gear Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Warlike accouterments.
- (n.) An apparatus for performing a special function; gearing; as, the feed gear of a lathe.
- (n.) Manner; custom; behavior.
- (v. t.) To provide with gearing.
- (n.) Engagement of parts with each other; as, in gear; out of gear.
- (n.) Goods; property; household stuff.
- (n.) See 1st Jeer (b).
- (n.) Whatever is prepared for use or wear; manufactured stuff or material.
- (n.) The harness of horses or cattle; trapping.
- (n.) Clothing; garments; ornaments.
- (n.) A toothed wheel, or cogwheel; as, a spur gear, or a bevel gear; also, toothed wheels, collectively.
- (v. t.) To dress; to put gear on; to harness.
- (v. i.) To be in, or come into, gear.
- (n.) Business matters; affairs; concern.
- (n.) Anything worthless; stuff; nonsense; rubbish.