• Gin Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A strong alcoholic liquor, distilled from rye and barley, and flavored with juniper berries; -- also called Hollands and Holland gin, because originally, and still very extensively, manufactured in Holland. Common gin is usually flavored with turpentine.
- (v. t.) To clear of seeds by a machine; as, to gin cotton.
- (conj.) If.
- (v. i.) To begin; -- often followed by an infinitive without to; as, gan tell. See Gan.
- (n.) A machine for separating the seeds from cotton; a cotton gin.
- (n.) A hoisting drum, usually vertical; a whim.
- (n.) Against; near by; towards; as, gin night.
- (n.) Contrivance; artifice; a trap; a snare.
- (v. t.) To catch in a trap.
- (n.) A machine for raising or moving heavy weights, consisting of a tripod formed of poles united at the top, with a windlass, pulleys, ropes, etc.
• Ging Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Same as Gang, n., 2.
• Ginkgo Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A large ornamental tree (Ginkgo biloba) from China and Japan, belonging to the Yew suborder of Coniferae. Its leaves are so like those of some maidenhair ferns, that it is also called the maidenhair tree.