• Globe Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A round model of the world; a spherical representation of the earth or heavens; as, a terrestrial or celestial globe; -- called also artificial globe.
- (n.) A round or spherical body, solid or hollow; a body whose surface is in every part equidistant from the center; a ball; a sphere.
- (n.) A body of troops, or of men or animals, drawn up in a circle; -- a military formation used by the Romans, answering to the modern infantry square.
- (v. t.) To gather or form into a globe.
- (n.) Anything which is nearly spherical or globular in shape; as, the globe of the eye; the globe of a lamp.
- (n.) The earth; the terraqueous ball; -- usually preceded by the definite article.
• Globefish Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A plectognath fish of the genera Diodon, Tetrodon, and allied genera. The globefishes can suck in water or air and distend the body to a more or less globular form. Called also porcupine fish, and sea hedgehog. See Diodon.