• Gospel Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Accordant with, or relating to, the gospel; evangelical; as, gospel righteousness.
- (v.) A selection from one of the gospels, for use in a religious service; as, the gospel for the day.
- (v.) Anything propounded or accepted as infallibly true; as, they took his words for gospel.
- (v.) Any system of religious doctrine; sometimes, any system of political doctrine or social philosophy; as, this political gospel.
- (v. t.) To instruct in the gospel.
- (v.) Glad tidings; especially, the good news concerning Christ, the Kingdom of God, and salvation.
- (v.) One of the four narratives of the life and death of Jesus Christ, written by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
• Gospeler Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A follower of Wyclif, the first English religious reformer; hence, a Puritan.
- (n.) One of the four evangelists.
- (n.) A priest or deacon who reads the gospel at the altar during the communion service.
• Gospelizing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Gospelize