• Governor Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who governs; especially, one who is invested with the supreme executive authority in a State; a chief ruler or magistrate; as, the governor of Pennsylvania.
- (n.) One who has the care or guardianship of a young man; a tutor; a guardian.
- (n.) A contrivance applied to steam engines, water wheels, and other machinery, to maintain nearly uniform speed when the resistances and motive force are variable.
- (n.) A pilot; a steersman.
• Governor general Definition & Synonyms
- () A governor who has lieutenant or deputy governors under him; as, the governor general of Canada, of India.