• Hard Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Having disagreeable and abrupt contrasts in the coloring or light and shade.
- (superl.) Rigid in the drawing or distribution of the figures; formal; lacking grace of composition.
- (superl.) Difficult, mentally or judicially; not easily apprehended, decided, or resolved; as a hard problem.
- (superl.) Wanting softness or smoothness of utterance; harsh; as, a hard tone.
- (superl.) Difficult to bear or endure; not easy to put up with or consent to; hence, severe; rigorous; oppressive; distressing; unjust; grasping; as, a hard lot; hard times; hard fare; a hard winter; hard conditions or terms.
- (superl.) Difficult to please or influence; stern; unyielding; obdurate; unsympathetic; unfeeling; cruel; as, a hard master; a hard heart; hard words; a hard character.
- (superl.) Difficult to resist or control; powerful.
- (adv.) Close or near.
- (superl.) Abrupt or explosive in utterance; not aspirated, sibilated, or pronounced with a gradual change of the organs from one position to another; -- said of certain consonants, as c in came, and g in go, as distinguished from the same letters in center, general, etc.
- (superl.) Not easy or agreeable to the taste; stiff; rigid; ungraceful; repelling; as, a hard style.
- (adv.) With difficulty; as, the vehicle moves hard.
- (superl.) Difficult to accomplish; full of obstacles; laborious; fatiguing; arduous; as, a hard task; a disease hard to cure.
- (n.) A ford or passage across a river or swamp.
- (superl.) Rough; acid; sour, as liquors; as, hard cider.
- (adv.) So as to raise difficulties.
- (adv.) With tension or strain of the powers; violently; with force; tempestuously; vehemently; vigorously; energetically; as, to press, to blow, to rain hard; hence, rapidly; as, to run hard.
- (adv.) Uneasily; vexatiously; slowly.
- (superl.) Not easily penetrated, cut, or separated into parts; not yielding to pressure; firm; solid; compact; -- applied to material bodies, and opposed to soft; as, hard wood; hard flesh; a hard apple.
- (v. t.) To harden; to make hard.
- (adv.) With pressure; with urgency; hence, diligently; earnestly.
• Hard-featured Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having coarse, unattractive or stern features.
• Hard-fought Definition & Synonyms
- (a. Vigorously) contested; as, a hard-fought battle.
• Hardhack Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A very astringent shrub (Spiraea tomentosa), common in pastures. The Potentilla fruticosa in also called by this name.