• Heave Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To raise or force from the breast; to utter with effort; as, to heave a sigh.
- (v. t.) To cause to swell or rise, as the breast or bosom.
- (v. i.) To be thrown up or raised; to rise upward, as a tower or mound.
- (v. t.) To cause to move upward or onward by a lifting effort; to lift; to raise; to hoist; -- often with up; as, the wave heaved the boat on land.
- (v. t.) To force from, or into, any position; to cause to move; also, to throw off; -- mostly used in certain nautical phrases; as, to heave the ship ahead.
- (n.) A horizontal dislocation in a metallic lode, taking place at an intersection with another lode.
- (n.) An upward motion; a rising; a swell or distention, as of the breast in difficult breathing, of the waves, of the earth in an earthquake, and the like.
- (v. i.) To rise and fall with alternate motions, as the lungs in heavy breathing, as waves in a heavy sea, as ships on the billows, as the earth when broken up by frost, etc.; to swell; to dilate; to expand; to distend; hence, to labor; to struggle.
- (v. i.) To make an effort to raise, throw, or move anything; to strain to do something difficult.
- (v. t.) To throw; to cast; -- obsolete, provincial, or colloquial, except in certain nautical phrases; as, to heave the lead; to heave the log.
- (n.) An effort to raise something, as a weight, or ones self, or to move something heavy.
- (v. i.) To make an effort to vomit; to retch; to vomit.
• Heavenly Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Appropriate to heaven in character or happiness; perfect; pure; supremely blessed; as, a heavenly race; the heavenly, throng.
- (a.) Pertaining to, resembling, or inhabiting heaven; celestial; not earthly; as, heavenly regions; heavenly music.
- (adv.) In a manner resembling that of heaven.
- (adv.) By the influence or agency of heaven.
• Heavening Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Heaven