• Hope Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, gives hope, furnishes ground of expectation, or promises desired good.
- (v. i.) To entertain or indulge hope; to cherish a desire of good, or of something welcome, with expectation of obtaining it or belief that it is obtainable; to expect; -- usually followed by for.
- (n.) A sloping plain between mountain ridges.
- (v. t.) To desire with expectation or with belief in the possibility or prospect of obtaining; to look forward to as a thing desirable, with the expectation of obtaining it; to cherish hopes of.
- (n.) A desire of some good, accompanied with an expectation of obtaining it, or a belief that it is obtainable; an expectation of something which is thought to be desirable; confidence; pleasing expectancy.
- (n.) That which is hoped for; an object of hope.
- (v. i.) To place confidence; to trust with confident expectation of good; -- usually followed by in.
- (v. t.) To expect; to fear.
- (n.) A small bay; an inlet; a haven.
• Hoped Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Hope
• Hopeful Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Full of hope, or agreeable expectation; inclined to hope; expectant.
- (a.) Having qualities which excite hope; affording promise of good or of success; as, a hopeful youth; a hopeful prospect.