• Hoped Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Hope
• Hop Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To walk lame; to limp; to halt.
- (n.) The catkin or strobilaceous fruit of the hop, much used in brewing to give a bitter taste.
- (n.) A climbing plant (Humulus Lupulus), having a long, twining, annual stalk. It is cultivated for its fruit (hops).
- (n.) A dance; esp., an informal dance of ball.
- (v. i.) To gather hops. [Perhaps only in the form Hopping, vb. n.]
- (n.) The fruit of the dog-rose. See Hip.
- (n.) A leap on one leg, as of a boy; a leap, as of a toad; a jump; a spring.
- (v. t.) To impregnate with hops.
- (v. i.) To move by successive leaps, as toads do; to spring or jump on one foot; to skip, as birds do.
- (v. i.) To dance.
• Hope Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, gives hope, furnishes ground of expectation, or promises desired good.
- (v. i.) To entertain or indulge hope; to cherish a desire of good, or of something welcome, with expectation of obtaining it or belief that it is obtainable; to expect; -- usually followed by for.
- (n.) A sloping plain between mountain ridges.
- (v. t.) To desire with expectation or with belief in the possibility or prospect of obtaining; to look forward to as a thing desirable, with the expectation of obtaining it; to cherish hopes of.
- (n.) A desire of some good, accompanied with an expectation of obtaining it, or a belief that it is obtainable; an expectation of something which is thought to be desirable; confidence; pleasing expectancy.
- (n.) That which is hoped for; an object of hope.
- (v. i.) To place confidence; to trust with confident expectation of good; -- usually followed by in.
- (v. t.) To expect; to fear.
- (n.) A small bay; an inlet; a haven.