• Horse Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A frame of timber, shaped like a horse, on which soldiers were made to ride for punishment.
- (n.) A hoofed quadruped of the genus Equus; especially, the domestic horse (E. caballus), which was domesticated in Egypt and Asia at a very early period. It has six broad molars, on each side of each jaw, with six incisors, and two canine teeth, both above and below. The mares usually have the canine teeth rudimentary or wanting. The horse differs from the true asses, in having a long, flowing mane, and the tail bushy to the base. Unlike the asses it has callosities, or chestnuts, on all its legs. The horse excels in strength, speed, docility, courage, and nobleness of character, and is used for drawing, carrying, bearing a rider, and like purposes.
- (v. t.) To take or carry on the back; as, the keeper, horsing a deer.
- (a.) A jackstay.
- (n.) See Footrope, a.
- (n.) A frame with legs, used to support something; as, a clotheshorse, a sawhorse, etc.
- (a.) An iron bar for a sheet traveler to slide upon.
- (v. t.) To place on the back of another, or on a wooden horse, etc., to be flogged; to subject to such punishment.
- (v. i.) To get on horseback.
- (v. t.) To provide with a horse, or with horses; to mount on, or as on, a horse.
- (n.) Mounted soldiery; cavalry; -- used without the plural termination; as, a regiment of horse; -- distinguished from foot.
- (v. t.) To sit astride of; to bestride.
- (v. t.) To cover, as a mare; -- said of the male.
- (a.) A breastband for a leadsman.
- (n.) A mass of earthy matter, or rock of the same character as the wall rock, occurring in the course of a vein, as of coal or ore; hence, to take horse -- said of a vein -- is to divide into branches for a distance.
- (n.) The male of the genus horse, in distinction from the female or male; usually, a castrated male.
- (n.) Anything, actual or figurative, on which one rides as on a horse; a hobby.
- (n.) A translation or other illegitimate aid in study or examination; -- called also trot, pony, Dobbin.
- (n.) Horseplay; tomfoolery.
• Horse-leechery Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The business of a farrier; especially, the art of curing the diseases of horses.
• Horsefoot Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The Limulus or horseshoe crab.
- (n.) The coltsfoot.