• Hyacinth Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A bulbous plant of the genus Hyacinthus, bearing beautiful spikes of fragrant flowers. H. orientalis is a common variety.
- (n.) A plant of the genus Camassia (C. Farseri), called also Eastern camass; wild hyacinth.
- (n.) The name also given to Scilla Peruviana, a Mediterranean plant, one variety of which produces white, and another blue, flowers; -- called also, from a mistake as to its origin, Hyacinth of Peru.
- (n.) A red variety of zircon, sometimes used as a gem. See Zircon.
• Hyacinthine Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Belonging to the hyacinth; resemblingthe hyacinth; in color like the hyacinth.