• Insurance Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of insuring, or assuring, against loss or damage by a contingent event; a contract whereby, for a stipulated consideration, called premium, one party undertakes to indemnify or guarantee another against loss by certain specified risks. Cf. Assurance, n., 6.
- (n.) The premium paid for insuring property or life.
- (n.) A guaranty, security, or pledge; assurance.
- (n.) The sum for which life or property is insured.
• Insurancer Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who effects insurance; an insurer; an underwriter.