• Interpreting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Interpret
• Interpret Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To apprehend and represent by means of art; to show by illustrative representation; as, an actor interprets the character of Hamlet; a musician interprets a sonata; an artist interprets a landscape.
- (v. i.) To act as an interpreter.
- (v. t.) To explain or tell the meaning of; to expound; to translate orally into intelligible or familiar language or terms; to decipher; to define; -- applied esp. to language, but also to dreams, signs, conduct, mysteries, etc.; as, to interpret the Hebrew language to an Englishman; to interpret an Indian speech.