• Ling Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Heather (Calluna vulgaris).
- (a.) An American hake of the genus Phycis.
- (a.) A large, marine, gadoid fish (Molva vulgaris) of Northern Europe and Greenland. It is valued as a food fish and is largely salted and dried. Called also drizzle.
- (a.) The burbot of Lake Ontario.
- (a.) A New Zealand food fish of the genus Genypterus. The name is also locally applied to other fishes, as the cultus cod, the mutton fish, and the cobia.
• L Definition & Synonyms
- () As a numeral, L stands for fifty in the English, as in the Latin language.
- (n.) A short right-angled pipe fitting, used in connecting two pipes at right angles.
- () L is the twelfth letter of the English alphabet, and a vocal consonant. It is usually called a semivowel or liquid. Its form and value are from the Greek, through the Latin, the form of the Greek letter being from the Phoenician, and the ultimate origin prob. Egyptian. Etymologically, it is most closely related to r and u; as in pilgrim, peregrine, couch (fr. collocare), aubura (fr. LL. alburnus).
- (n.) An extension at right angles to the length of a main building, giving to the ground plan a form resembling the letter L; sometimes less properly applied to a narrower, or lower, extension in the direction of the length of the main building; a wing.
- (n.) An elevated road; as, to ride on the L.
- (a.) Having the general shape of the (capital) letter L; as, an L beam, or L-beam.
- (a.) Elevated; -- a symbol for el. as an abbreviation of elevated in elevated road or railroad.
• Lingula Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any one of numerous species of brachiopod shells belonging to the genus Lingula, and related genera. See Brachiopoda, and Illustration in Appendix.
- (n.) A tonguelike process or part.
• Linguadental Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An articulation pronounced by the aid or use of the tongue and teeth.
- (a.) Formed or uttered by the joint use of the tongue and teeth, or rather that part of the gum just above the front teeth; dentolingual, as the letters d and t.
• Lingulate Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Shaped like the tongue or a strap; ligulate.