• Locust Definition & Synonyms
Synonyms: Locust tree
- (n.) The locust tree. See Locust Tree (definition, note, and phrases).
- (n.) Any one of numerous species of long-winged, migratory, orthopterous insects, of the family Acrididae, allied to the grasshoppers; esp., (Edipoda, / Pachytylus, migratoria, and Acridium perigrinum, of Southern Europe, Asia, and Africa. In the United States the related species with similar habits are usually called grasshoppers. See Grasshopper.
• Locust tree Definition & Synonyms
- () A large North American tree of the genus Robinia (R. Pseudacacia), producing large slender racemes of white, fragrant, papilionaceous flowers, and often cultivated as an ornamental tree. In England it is called acacia.
• Locustic Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Pertaining to, or derived from, the locust; -- formerly used to designate a supposed acid.