• Masking Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Mask
• Mask Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To wear a mask; to be disguised in any way.
- (n.) In a permanent fortification, a redoubt which protects the caponiere.
- (n.) A festive entertainment of dancing or other diversions, where all wear masks; a masquerade; hence, a revel; a frolic; a delusive show.
- (n.) A grotesque head or face, used to adorn keystones and other prominent parts, to spout water in fountains, and the like; -- called also mascaron.
- (n.) A screen for a battery.
- (v. t.) To disguise; to cover; to hide.
- (n.) A dramatic performance, formerly in vogue, in which the actors wore masks and represented mythical or allegorical characters.
- (v. t.) To conceal; also, to intervene in the line of.
- (n.) A cover, or partial cover, for the face, used for disguise or protection; as, a dancers mask; a fencers mask; a ball players mask.
- (n.) The lower lip of the larva of a dragon fly, modified so as to form a prehensile organ.
- (v. t.) To cover, as the face, by way of concealment or defense against injury; to conceal with a mask or visor.
- (v. t.) To cover or keep in check; as, to mask a body of troops or a fortess by a superior force, while some hostile evolution is being carried out.
- (v. i.) To take part as a masker in a masquerade.
- (n.) That which disguises; a pretext or subterfuge.
- (n.) A person wearing a mask; a masker.
- (n.) The head or face of a fox.