• Melancholy Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Great and continued depression of spirits, amounting to mental unsoundness; melancholia.
- (a.) Producing great evil and grief; causing dejection; calamitous; afflictive; as, a melancholy event.
- (n.) Ill nature.
- (n.) Depression of spirits; a gloomy state continuing a considerable time; deep dejection; gloominess.
- (a.) Somewhat deranged in mind; having the jugment impaired.
- (a.) Depressed in spirits; dejected; gloomy dismal.
- (a.) Favorable to meditation; somber.
- (n.) Pensive maditation; serious thoughtfulness.