• Mews Definition & Synonyms
- (n. sing. & pl.) An alley where there are stables; a narrow passage; a confined place.
• Mew Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A gull, esp. the common British species (Larus canus); called also sea mew, maa, mar, mow, and cobb.
- (n.) A cage for hawks while mewing; a coop for fattening fowls; hence, any inclosure; a place of confinement or shelter; -- in the latter sense usually in the plural.
- (v. i.) To cry as a cat.
- (n.) A stable or range of stables for horses; -- compound used in the plural, and so called from the royal stables in London, built on the site of the kings mews for hawks.
- (v. i.) To cast the feathers; to molt; hence, to change; to put on a new appearance.
- (v. t.) To shut up; to inclose; to confine, as in a cage or other inclosure.
- (v. t.) To shed or cast; to change; to molt; as, the hawk mewed his feathers.
- (n.) The common cry of a cat.
, Sea mew