• Mortification Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Hence: Deprivation or depression of self-approval; abatement or pride; humiliation; chagrin; vexation.
- (n.) A gift to some charitable or religious institution; -- nearly synonymous with mortmain.
- (n.) Destruction of active qualities; neutralization.
- (n.) The act of mortifying, or the condition of being mortified
- (n.) Subjection of the passions and appetites, by penance, absistence, or painful severities inflicted on the body.
- (n.) The death of one part of an animal body, while the rest continues to live; loss of vitality in some part of a living animal; gangrene.
- (n.) That which mortifies; the cause of humiliation, chagrin, or vexation.