• Oath Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An appeal (in verification of a statement made) to a superior sanction, in such a form as exposes the party making the appeal to an indictment for perjury if the statement be false.
- (n.) A careless and blasphemous use of the name of the divine Being, or anything divine or sacred, by way of appeal or as a profane exclamation or ejaculation; an expression of profane swearing.
- (n.) A solemn affirmation or declaration, made with a reverent appeal to God for the truth of what is affirmed.
- (n.) A solemn affirmation, connected with a sacred object, or one regarded as sacred, as the temple, the altar, the blood of Abel, the Bible, the Koran, etc.
• Oaths Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Oath