• On Definition & Synonyms
- (prep.) In continuance; without interruption or ceasing; as, sleep on, take your ease; say on; sing on.
- (prep.) Toward; for; -- indicating the object of some passion; as, have pity or compassion on him.
- (prep.) At, or in contact with, the surface or upper part of a thing, and supported by it; placed or lying in contact with the surface; as, the book lies on the table, which stands on the floor of a house on an island.
- (prep.) Forward, in succession; as, from father to son, from the son to the grandson, and so on.
- (prep.) Forward, in progression; onward; -- usually with a verb of motion; as, move on; go on.
- (prep.) At the peril of, or for the safety of.
- (prep.) At or in the time of; during; as, on Sunday we abstain from labor. See At (synonym).
- (prep.) Adhering; not off; as in the phrase, "He is neither on nor off," that is, he is not steady, he is irresolute.
- (prep.) Indicating dependence or reliance; with confidence in; as, to depend on a person for assistance; to rely on; hence, indicating the ground or support of anything; as, he will promise on certain conditions; to bet on a horse.
- (prep.) In progress; proceeding; as, a game is on.
- (prep.) By virtue of; with the pledge of; -- denoting a pledge or engagement, and put before the thing pledged; as, he affirmed or promised on his word, or on his honor.
- (prep.) To or against the surface of; -- used to indicate the motion of a thing as coming or falling to the surface of another; as, rain falls on the earth.
- (prep.) At or near; adjacent to; -- indicating situation, place, or position; as, on the one hand, on the other hand; the fleet is on the American coast.
- (prep.) At the time of, conveying some notion of cause or motive; as, on public occasions, the officers appear in full dress or uniform. Hence, in consequence of, or following; as, on the ratification of the treaty, the armies were disbanded.
- (prep.) In reference or relation to; as, on our part expect punctuality; a satire on society.
- (prep.) Denoting performance or action by contact with the surface, upper part, or outside of anything; hence, by means of; with; as, to play on a violin or piano. Hence, figuratively, to work on ones feelings; to make an impression on the mind.
- (prep.) Occupied with; in the performance of; as, only three officers are on duty; on a journey.
- (prep.) In addition to; besides; -- indicating multiplication or succession in a series; as, heaps on heaps; mischief on mischief; loss on loss; thought on thought.
- (prep.) Of.
- (prep.) In the service of; connected with; of the number of; as, he is on a newspaper; on a committee.
- (prep.) Attached to the body, as clothing or ornament, or for use.
- (prep.) The general signification of on is situation, motion, or condition with respect to contact or support beneath
- (prep.) To the account of; -- denoting imprecation or invocation, or coming to, falling, or resting upon; as, on us be all the blame; a curse on him.
• Onager Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A wild ass, especially the koulan.
- (n.) A military engine acting like a sling, which threw stones from a bag or wooden bucket, and was operated by machinery.
• Ondograph Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An instrument for autographically recording the wave forms of varying currents, esp. rapidly varying alternating currents.