• Paneling Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Panel
- (n.) A forming in panels; panelwork.
• Panel Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A segment of an aeroplane wing. In a biplane the outer panel extends from the wing tip to the next row of posts, and is trussed by oblique stay wires.
- (n.) A plain strip or band, as of velvet or plush, placed at intervals lengthwise on the skirt of a dress, for ornament.
- (v. t.) To form in or with panels; as, to panel a wainscot.
- (n.) One of the faces of a hewn stone.
- (n.) A board having its edges inserted in the groove of a surrounding frame; as, the panel of a door.
- (n.) Formerly, a piece of cloth serving as a saddle; hence, a soft pad beneath a saddletree to prevent chafing.
- (n.) A heap of dressed ore.
- (n.) A prisoner arraigned for trial at the bar of a criminal court.
- (n.) A slab or plank of wood upon which, instead of canvas, a picture is painted.
- (n.) One of the districts divided by pillars of extra size, into which a mine is laid off in one system of extracting coal.
- (n.) A portion of a framed structure between adjacent posts or struts, as in a bridge truss.
- (n.) A piece of parchment or a schedule, containing the names of persons summoned as jurors by the sheriff; hence, more generally, the whole jury.
- (n.) A sunken compartment with raised margins, molded or otherwise, as in ceilings, wainscotings, etc.