• Paring Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) The act of cutting off the surface or extremites of anything.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Pare
- (v. t.) That which is pared off.
• Par Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An amount which is taken as an average or mean.
- (n.) The number of strokes required for a hole or a round played without mistake, two strokes being allowed on each hole for putting. Par represents perfect play, whereas bogey makes allowance on some holes for human frailty. Thus if par for a course is 75, bogey is usually put down, arbitrarily, as 81 or 82.
- (n.) Equal value; equality of nominal and actual value; the value expressed on the face or in the words of a certificate of value, as a bond or other commercial paper.
- (n.) See Parr.
- (prep.) By; with; -- used frequently in Early English in phrases taken from the French, being sometimes written as a part of the word which it governs; as, par amour, or paramour; par cas, or parcase; par fay, or parfay.
- (n.) Equality of condition or circumstances.
• Pare Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To cut off, or shave off, the superficial substance or extremities of; as, to pare an apple; to pare a horses hoof.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To diminish the bulk of; to reduce; to lessen.
- (v. t.) To remove; to separate; to cut or shave, as the skin, ring, or outside part, from anything; -- followed by off or away; as; to pare off the ring of fruit; to pare away redundancies.