• Passioning Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr & vb. n.) of Passion
• Passion Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Passion week. See Passion week, below.
- (n.) Capacity of being affected by external agents; susceptibility of impressions from external agents.
- (n.) The state of the mind when it is powerfully acted upon and influenced by something external to itself; the state of any particular faculty which, under such conditions, becomes extremely sensitive or uncontrollably excited; any emotion or sentiment (specifically, love or anger) in a state of abnormal or controlling activity; an extreme or inordinate desire; also, the capacity or susceptibility of being so affected; as, to be in a passion; the passions of love, hate, jealously, wrath, ambition, avarice, fear, etc.; a passion for war, or for drink; an orator should have passion as well as rhetorical skill.
- (n.) The state of being acted upon; subjection to an external agent or influence; a passive condition; -- opposed to action.
- (v. i.) To suffer pain or sorrow; to experience a passion; to be extremely agitated.
- (v. t.) To give a passionate character to.
- (n.) A suffering or enduring of imposed or inflicted pain; any suffering or distress (as, a cardiac passion); specifically, the suffering of Christ between the time of the last supper and his death, esp. in the garden upon the cross.
- (n.) Disorder of the mind; madness.