• Patent Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) A letter patent, or letters patent; an official document, issued by a sovereign power, conferring a right or privilege on some person or party.
- (a.) Spreading; forming a nearly right angle with the steam or branch; as, a patent leaf.
- (a.) Open to public perusal; -- said of a document conferring some right or privilege; as, letters patent. See Letters patent, under 3d Letter.
- (a.) Open; expanded; evident; apparent; unconcealed; manifest; public; conspicuous.
- (a.) Appropriated or protected by letters patent; secured by official authority to the exclusive possession, control, and disposal of some person or party; patented; as, a patent right; patent medicines.
- (v. t.) To grant by patent; to make the subject of a patent; to secure or protect by patent; as, to patent an invention; to patent public lands.
- (a.) A document making a grant and conveyance of public lands.
- (a.) The right or privilege conferred by such a document; hence, figuratively, a right, privilege, or license of the nature of a patent.
- (a.) A writing securing to an invention.
• Patentable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Suitable to be patented; capable of being patented.