• Phenol Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A white or pinkish crystalline substance, C6H5OH, produced by the destructive distillation of many organic bodies, as wood, coal, etc., and obtained from the heavy oil from coal tar.
- (n.) Any one of the series of hydroxyl derivatives of which phenol proper is the type.
• Phenol phthalein Definition & Synonyms
- () A white or yellowish white crystalline substance, C20H14O4, formed by condensation of the anhydride of phthalic acid and phenol. Its solution in alkalies is brilliant red, but is decolorized by acids. This reaction, being very delicate, is used as an indicator.