• Plead Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To present an answer, by allegation of fact, to the declaration of a plaintiff; to deny the plaintiffs declaration and demand, or to allege facts which show that ought not to recover in the suit; in a less strict sense, to make an allegation of fact in a cause; to carry on the allegations of the respective parties in a cause; to carry on a suit or plea.
- (v. t.) To contend; to struggle.
- (v. t.) To argue in support of a claim, or in defense against the claim of another; to urge reasons for or against a thing; to attempt to persuade one by argument or supplication; to speak by way of persuasion; as, to plead for the life of a criminal; to plead with a judge or with a father.
- () of Plead
- (v. t.) To discuss, defend, and attempt to maintain by arguments or reasons presented to a tribunal or person having uthority to determine; to argue at the bar; as, to plead a cause before a court or jury.
- (v. t.) To allege or adduce in proof, support, or vendication; to offer in excuse; as, the law of nations may be pleaded in favor of the rights of ambassadors.
- (v. t.) To allege or cite in a legal plea or defense, or for repelling a demand in law; to answer to an indictment; as, to plead usury; to plead statute of limitations; to plead not guilty.
• Plea Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A cause in court; a lawsuit; as, the Court of Common Pleas. See under Common.
- (n.) An urgent prayer or entreaty.
- (n.) That which is alleged by a party in support of his cause; in a stricter sense, an allegation of fact in a cause, as distinguished from a demurrer; in a still more limited sense, and in modern practice, the defendants answer to the plaintiffs declaration and demand. That which the plaintiff alleges in his declaration is answered and repelled or justified by the defendants plea. In chancery practice, a plea is a special answer showing or relying upon one or more things as a cause why the suit should be either dismissed, delayed, or barred. In criminal practice, the plea is the defendants formal answer to the indictment or information presented against him.
- (n.) That which is alleged or pleaded, in defense or in justification; an excuse; an apology.
• Pleadable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Capable of being pleaded; capable of being alleged in proof, defense, or vindication; as, a right or privilege pleadable at law.