• Pledge Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A hypothecation without transfer of possession.
- (n.) To give or pass as a security; to guarantee; to engage; to plight; as, to pledge ones word and honor.
- (n.) To invite another to drink, by drinking of the cup first, and then handing it to him, as a pledge of good will; hence, to drink the health of; to toast.
- (n.) A sentiment to which assent is given by drinking ones health; a toast; a health.
- (n.) To bind or engage by promise or declaration; to engage solemnly; as, to pledge ones self.
- (n.) To deposit, as a chattel, in pledge or pawn; to leave in possession of another as security; as, to pledge ones watch.
- (n.) Anything given or considered as a security for the performance of an act; a guarantee; as, mutual interest is the best pledge for the performance of treaties.
- (n.) To secure performance of, as by a pledge.
- (n.) The transfer of possession of personal property from a debtor to a creditor as security for a debt or engagement; also, the contract created between the debtor and creditor by a thing being so delivered or deposited, forming a species of bailment; also, that which is so delivered or deposited; something put in pawn.
- (n.) A person who undertook, or became responsible, for another; a bail; a surety; a hostage.
- (n.) A promise or agreement by which one binds ones self to do, or to refrain from doing, something; especially, a solemn promise in writing to refrain from using intoxicating liquors or the like; as, to sign the pledge; the mayor had made no pledges.
• Pledged Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Pledge