• Poising Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Poise
• Poise Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) To counterpoise; to counterbalance.
- (v.) The weight, or mass of metal, used in weighing, to balance the substance weighed.
- (n.) To ascertain, as by the balance; to weigh.
- (v.) That which causes a balance; a counterweight.
- (n.) To balance; to make of equal weight; as, to poise the scales of a balance.
- (v. i.) To hang in equilibrium; to be balanced or suspended; hence, to be in suspense or doubt.
- (v.) Weight; gravity; that which causes a body to descend; heaviness.
- (n.) To hold or place in equilibrium or equiponderance.
- (n.) To weigh (down); to oppress.
- (v.) The state of being balanced by equal weight or power; equipoise; balance; equilibrium; rest.